Ferries

Ferries were important for accessing un-bridged rivers. Prior to the construction of the bridge at Toome by Lord O’Neill in 1792, a ferry service operated at the mouth of the Lower Bann, just south of the town. Two important ferries on Lough Neagh were located on the south shore: at the Bannsfoot providing access across the Upper Bann: and at Maghery across the Blackwater. Although both ferries continued in use into the 20th century, they are now defunct. A bridge had been planned at the Bannsfoot since before the 1830’s but was opposed by the Newry Canal company. The Maghery Ferry was replaced with a bridge in 2004.(Top image: Bannsfoot Ferry. Bottom image: Maghery Ferry.)

Maghery-Ferry-Large
Bannfoot-Ferry-Large